At the prestigious hill, The Debate Club is one of the most vibrant clubs in the school. The club patrons Ms Sharifa Nanyunja and Mr Habib Ssenyonjo, the Club Coach Mr Joseph Tahinduka and the hard-working club cabinet led by Ms Halima Ssemujju and Tracy Nimusiima are very passionate about grooming young debaters and public speakers. Training for the team takes place thrice a week and the team holds debate sessions every Sunday night. The team truly understood the school motto which grounds the idea of reaping from what we sow.
When all Ugandan schools closed during the COVID lock down, that did not stop the club from participating in debates and intensive training. The team participated in several tournaments and these are some of the milestones for 2021 and 2022.
- Winners of the Mwalimu Julius Nyerere Invitational Championship organised by Strathmore University
The school had five teams in the championship(Martha Busingye, Martina Busingye, Clarissa Mutayisa, ShonelLunkuse, Nabbumba Belinda, Semujju Halima, Tracy Nimusiima, NEKESA Samantha, Naila Mbarak, Raima Muhammad, Cauthan Janet Buluma, Bonita Murungi, SanyuFahimah, Lucy Agaba, Chelimo Faith)
- Participation in the Oxford University World Schools Debate Championship in July where Bonita Murungi, Martina Busingye , Tracy Nimusiima, Lucy Agaba met teams from over 70 countries around the world and got 3 wins out of 7 rounds
- Participation in the Main World Schools Debate Championship organized Qatar Academy and Macau Debating Society debating against the world’s greatest minds from over 70 nations
- Bonita Murungi emerged the 3rd best East African speaker and won the Africa All stars weekend organised by the Africa Schools Debate Council
- Participation in the 2021 Weekend Academy organised by the South African Schools debating board and the World Schools Debate Council.
- Winning The Constitution Hill Debates with teams from South Africa., Zimbabwe, Bostwana, Uganda organised by the Pan African Schools Debate Council based in Johannesburg(South Africa)-Winners; Martha Busingye, Bonita Murungi, Raima Muhammad with Raima Muhammad as best speaker
- Organised the first School organized debate championship dubbed THE HOUSE OF LORDS DEBATE LEAGUE where 10 schools participated on zoom.
- Semi finalists in the Zimbabwe Royalties Debate Championship organised by the Royal Pact Debating Championship
- Rahima Muhammad is elected the team captain of the Uganda National Debate team after emerging the best speaker in the 2022 Uganda Debate cranes trials
- Naila Mbarak and Raima Muhammad make it to the 2022 Uganda National Debate Team.
- 1st runners up in the Debate Society Uganda championship .
- Halima Ssemujju emerged the best debater of the championship.
- Won the Debate League International debates
- Martina Busingye emerged best debater of the DELI championship
- 5 Nabisunsa teams participate in the virtual 48th Harvard University Debating Championship.
- Won the 2022 2nd edition House of Lords Debate League winning St Marty’s College Kisubi in the finals.
- Won the 2022 Debate Society In Uganda regionals at Kings College Buddo(Beating Baptist High School-Quarter finals, Gayaza High School-Semi finals and Mengo SS in the final)
- Bonita Murungi emerged the best debater at the 2022 National Debate Council Regionals at Gombve High school
- Babirye Nicole emerged the best debater at the Erudite Scholars Initiative Championship at Cavendish university
- Emerged 1st runners up of the 2022 Erudite Scholars Initiative Championship at Cavendish university
- The school is sending two students (Raima Muhammad and Naila Mbarak) to the 2022 World Schools Debating championship (August 8-18th,2022).
From not being known to now being the monuments of the Uganda Schools Debating circuit, we can only say that this is a defining decade for the Nabisunsa Girls School Debate Team!